Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Story to Help Us Understand Our Divine Nature

I was once driving on a dirt road far from any town, when I rounded a corner and saw a
large flock of buzzards feasting on some carrion in the middle of the road. Buzzards are ugly.
They have no feathers on their heads, and their skin is red. Their feathers are dusty brown.
They have their purpose, but not many really admire them. There must have been about fifteenof them squabbling and fighting over the dead animal in the road.

One of them however, looked much larger than the others. I had never before seen a
buzzard that big. He towered above the others. As my truck drew near, the buzzards began to
fly off—all but the large one in the center. He seemed hesitant to leave the carrion and stayed
long after the others had scattered. I had to slow down to avoid hitting him. When I was very
close, I could see that he was not a buzzard at all but a golden eagle.

I love to see eagles circle and ride the air currents of the canyons. This was the first time I
had seen such a magnificent bird accompanied by buzzards feasting on road kill. I felt a stab
of sorrow that such a beautiful bird had stooped to sharing such an unwholesome meal with
such unwelcoming fellows.

I believe that the one doctrine Lucifer fears the most, and wants most to keep deeply
veiled, is the conviction that we are literal sons and daughters of God. Lucifer hopes that if he
can get us to see ourselves as belonging with the buzzards, to acquire a taste for carrion, we will forget our true identity and lose our taste for eternal things.

S. Michael Wilcox, Don’t Leap With the Sheep,
[Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2001], pp. 111, 113.

No comments:

About Me

我是在1996年12月29日受洗加入耶穌基督後期聖徒教會. 我在此留下我對這復興的福音的見證,我知道約瑟斯密確實是神的先知; 藉由約瑟斯密,神復興了耶穌基督的教會即耶穌基督後期聖徒教會; 摩爾門經是耶穌基督的另一部約書,與聖經共同見證耶穌是基督.而我們今日仍有一位活著的先知,多馬孟蓀會長 I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on December 29, 1996. I know that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God. The Book of Mormon is indeed Another Testament of Jesus Christ. We have a living prophet today, even President Thomas S. Monson.

Blog Archive